Garbage data from treadmill runs

I sometimes need to run inside for different reasons, and sometimes my Garmin watch (paired with either a Polar H10 or an HRM-Pro-Plus) goes completely off the rails and has me running at 2:30 min/km instead of 5:30 for example. While I calibrate the distance before saving the session, Athletica (and TP too I noticed) still receives that garbage speed data and uses it for threshold and critical speed calculations. What to do about these sessions, should I simply delete them? Or is there an easy way to remove the Garmin data and simply add the correct time and distance for the session?

2 Likes

Personally I I modify my 5K TT time before I move to outdoors or move onto the treadmill because then the load calculated amount is a little closer, but it doesn’t resolve the calibrated data versus the before calibrated data.

Ideally I would like to see indoor and outdoor 5K TT on profiles so load calculates right and I would like the calibrated treadmill data to pull in from Garmin for indoor runs.

I’m all outdoors now or should be for running until the winter so not going to worry about it for a bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

When I am stuck on treadmill I use Stryd power meter - seems to be more accurate with the real pace that my feet are moving on the tready.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to get a Stryd actually, and you’ve just given me a great excuse to finally pull the trigger and get one :slight_smile:

What I ended up doing for my runs with bad data was saving the session to the library, reinserting it on the same day and entering the correct distance, time and HR data, and then deleting the old one with bad data. Not super tedious, but for better UX maybe you could add a “delete data” button to a session.

1 Like

You could also try a Runn treadmill sensor, which is what I do for accurate speed/distance inside.

The stryd is not a bad suggestion at all, and I had the first model as well as the current model, but what I’ve noticed from stryd is running 250w (random example) is significantly harder from a rpe and hr perspective than it is outside, and it’s also significantly slower to the tune of 8-10%.

I don’t think it’s an n=1 issue as I googled around 2 years ago to see what was going on prior to purchasing the runn.

2 Likes

Is there a sub service for the power meters or does it interact with Garmin?

1 Like

You need to download stryd app and then you get a stryd specific screen on your watch. Search for power sensor and you’re good to go.

1 Like

Oh boy. Time to read about power and running. Another rabbit hole to get lost in! :slight_smile: Thanks!

3 Likes

:joy: so easy to get yourself stuck in all kinds of rabbit holes :hole: have fun :star_struck:

3 Likes