Running Power / Stryd

Only thing that is missing for is the integration of running power into the training plans, is there anything in the pipeline for this in the future?

I currently use Stryd and have found it really beneficial for the last 2 years. I know Garmin are now doing it as well.

2 Likes

I also run with Stryd and have been told by @Prof that running power is in the works. No ETA as of yet for a release date. But it’s on the way!

6 Likes

Hi everyone. We’re making a start on this one. Can anyone that catches this thread and knows they have running power that they are capturing on their Garmin device please identify themselves to me either here or through DM. Even better if you’ve noticed that Athletica seems to be capturing run power on your running sessions (please LMK if that appears to be the case). Thanks as always!

1 Like

My run from today shows power. I record with wrist based power on a Garmin 955.

1 Like

Hi, great news on this!

I use Stryd and upload through Garmin.

Just checked my run from today on Athletica and there is no power data on there.

2 Likes

I also use Stryd paired with a Forerunner 935. I see no power in my uploaded data.

1 Like

Native Garmin user here. My watch records power for each run session but I rarely look at it.

I’ve gone through the Garmin RD pod, native wrist based, Stryd and now finally back to just using RPE, HR (longer sessions), pace for short VO2 intervals works fine. As an engineer I feel like training allows me to get away from number crunching all the time and just enjoy the training.

I found that run power really wasn’t making me faster.

2 Likes

Run power is being captured by my Forerunner 955 and I noticed it is showing in the workout summary table in Athletica (Overall AVG, moving AVG, without pauses). Overall AVG power matches data in Garmin Connect.

1 Like

Thanks @bfrostieone @jockefc23 @Lars_Nielsen @amn2099 @Paw for your response. That should give us enough to go on for starters.

4 Likes

I upgraded to the EPIX Gen2 Software: 17.28 mid-June, and Athletica is using/reporting it. I don’t know how accurate it is compared to Stryd, though.

3 Likes

You’ll note that display of running power is now available on your session analysis chart for those using running power.

1 Like

@Prof Not showing for me, did a run this morning and nothing on the chart or the session notes.

I’m using Stryd paired through Garmin

1 Like

I use the dual Stryd pod setup. There is no power data in my run for today or any other day. I checked Garmin and I have the Stryd power in there.

2 Likes

Normally I have my Garmin set to runningpower off to capture the Stryd power. I now tried the setting running power on and then use accessory as a source.
I found that in the fit file then the Garmin power and the Stryd power both seem to be recorded. Athletics now does have power in the data, but unfortunately it is the Garmin power and not the Stryd power.

1 Like

@Antonie @jockefc23 we think we’ve found a fix for this. Please confirm when you can. Basically you’ll need to have both Garmin and Strava connected. Of course if only Garmin is connected then Garmin will only send its power output for running (not anyone elses). So we can override this using the Strava connection for these run power occurrences only.

I think it works. On Saturday I had my run and another short run record to test something. That run did not have power data in Athletica. Then I swapped the 2 sessions and then swapped them back again. After that I had my Stryd running power in the session.

2 other questions:

I noticed the cadence now gets pulled in from Stryd as well. Would it be possible to do that times 2? I also see there is about 10 steps difference between Stryd and my Garmin cadence in my runs. Will check that with Stryd to see why that is.

Will we now also get a running power chart and the possibility to set our running FTP and zones somewhere or have it calculated.

1 Like

Ran this morning and working for me. Can’t wait to see what the options are for this going forward as power is pretty much the only thing I look at currently

1 Like

Thanks for this @Antonie.

In my experience, when you need to do times 2, it means that a device is providing step (contact point of the other foot) frequency and the other one is providing stride (contact points of the same foot) frequency.

When consistency is not preserved between devices, I would trust more the one closer to the point of contacts. When Stryd sensors are placed on the feet, they are much more sensitive to the accelerations/decelerations (used to extract info about the contact with the ground). A Garmin device on the wrist can only estimate step frequency from the oscillations of your arms. It is only reliable to some extent, and you can use it, as soon as you keep using the same device all the time.

About power thresholds in running, I’m afraid we need to wait a bit :slight_smile: until we are confident using them. For now the main descriptor for intensity on running is still running speed, but we’ll see!

I hope this helps. :pray:

2 Likes

That helps!

Did a new run today, but no power or cadence in Athletica afterwards…

1 Like