Questions about Garmin workouts

I am looking at replacing Zwift as the driver of my indoor workouts and I have narrowed it down to Athletica or Trainer Road. My question is as follows and relates to having my Garmin interface with my smart trainer.

For power driven workouts, for example HIIT, the workout sent to Garmin contains power ranges. When the workout is linked to a smart trainer, the trainer sets the power to a steady wattage that is in the middle of the range (ERG mode). This causes issues with steps like warm up and cool down since the range maybe 123-237W for 30 minutes but the trainer pins the wattage @ 180 for 30 minutes.

I have one week left on my Athletica trial and this question is really the crux for me in the decision. TrainerRoad provides ramped power for steps like warmup and cooldown. The less friction, e.g. having to edit workouts for the trainer, the better as that is just one more hurdle. Athletica seems to integrate better with my training which takes place outdoor 95% of the time.

Any input is appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @unospeeder,
I’m sorry that no one has responded here and had hoped that someone doing more indoor workouts than myself would have stepped up. First key question - is there an option to NOT use ERG mode? Ideally, for optimal training, you want to use some sort of a free or open mode. This way you can do a bit more or a bit less, but still in the range that is recommended. Just like when you are doing your outdoor workouts. This type of flexibility assists your development when you are fatigued (do a bit less), or adapting and feeling good (do a bit more). Is that option available to you on your smart trainer? I thought that most had this ability?
Best,
Paul

2 Likes

Hey @unospeeder

Welcome to the team! hope you are enjoying the experience so far.

I do a lot of indoor biking - but I’ve never used Garmin to drive my trainer (although I have Tacx Flux S) although I guess I could upload Athletica workout to Tacx app. I do my training mostly on Zwift - I import Athletica workouts in- or FulGaz like this summer in preparation for IM worlds. I tried to look for “ERG” mode toggle in the Tacx app but couldn’t find it. I am sure it’s somewhere. I would turn it off to allow “free” movement within the range and you can ramp your warm up like you mention. Let me know if you find it. I’ll try it on my next bike session as well.

I’m of course biased in saying this but if your training happens 95% outside, you’re better off with Athletica. :rofl: Let’s figure out how we can get your last 5% be as efficient and smooth as possible.

MJ

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Prof and @Marjaana. The Wahoo Kickr does not have a mode that functions like a fluid trainer which is what you are suggesting for functionality. Kickr Modes

I am trying to narrow down the tools I need and would rather not need Zwift, Athletica and Intervals to manage my training but that may be a bridge too far. I race endurance single speed mtb events so using a AI based tool may also not accomplish what I am after given the particulars of training on and racing single speed mountain bikes.

@Marjaana, any indoor training is typically driven by weather so some winters it may be more than 5%. I’ll do some thinking on monthly cost vs ROI and see if it makes sense for me to fund all three tools.

Thanks again for the input.

1 Like

Hi @unospeeder, I do most of my bike training indoors as our roads are so full of pot holes. I have a Tacx Flow and use Garmin without any other app to control the trainer, but I have a Garmin Vector 3 power meter to measure power. I have found that most of my sessions I do in resistance mode so it is up to me how much power to put in, so a lower power warmup or cool down are easy to accommodate. I do all my interval sessions in Erg mode, and I don’t find a problem with the power for warmup or cool down as these are Z2 and relatively easy.

I switched from TrainerRoad a year ago and have not missed it. I am a triathlete and I prefer the Swim and Run sessions in Athletica. As best I can tell my bike training results were no different from what I got from TrainerRoad, and my swim and run were better.

I have a suspicion that the power control in TrainerRoad makes the long workouts more difficult. I think the continuous adjustment of resistance to keep to a power target makes it harder for the body to make micro adjustments so the long Erg mode workouts are more fatiguing. I also have to do more work mentally to keep the power numbers up at the end of a long ride, which I think is better training for racing.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts and approach for the trainer @Jeremy. For me it boils down to cost and ROI. I’ve never been a big fan of road cycling and only use it as a tool for training. Over the years I find myself on the road less and only on the trainer with Zwift. Hard to get motivated to spend $$$ on a new trainer that, hopefully :joy:, won’t get used much to get the fluid trainer like functionality.

3 Likes

Correct. Great intuition. Very few appreciate this important aspect of optimal training. :clap:

1 Like

Maybe “resistance” mode, where you can just set a resistance that feels appropriate and ride? I haven’t used that myself, but I use a Wahoo Kicker Snap paired with Zwift in non-ERG mode. Either “passive” or “resistance” mode sounds like how the trainer behaves when riding in Zwift with ERG disabled.

1 Like

@rap, Zwift uses simulation mode to drive the smart trainer, when not doing a prescribed workout, based on the virtual terrain. I assume that SIM mode is just terminology for allowing dynamic adjustment of the resistance.

1 Like