In the most recent Athlete’s Compass podcast, we discussed how your lungs can limit your VO2max, or your capacity to use oxygen to power your exercise.
For some of us, like me, asthma and other respiratory diseases can make the lungs a limiter.
But new devices, like the PowerBreathe or Isocapnic Breathe Better can strengthen the muscles in your lungs and improve their function.
Have you tried them before? If so, let us know in the Forum comments.
Here’s the episode: https://athletica.ai/the-athletes-compass-podcast/lung-training-101-breathe-better-perform-better/
I also have asthma & have been using Airsoft on and off. However I get the impression that these tools are not scientifically proven so the podcast was an interesting listen
I honestly use it in my car while traveling for work 2/3 times a week
I do 3x 20 breaths of about 3/4 seconds.
Unfortunately I haven’t found much around on how to use it…
That’s actually a convenient way to stay consistent with it. Have you experimented much with the resistance level or the number of breaths you do each session? I’m trying to work out whether a short routine a few times a week is enough to notice a difference, or whether consistency every day matters more.
I’ve seen respiratory muscle training discussed more lately among endurance athletes. It seems interesting because breathing can become a limiting factor during hard efforts, even when your legs still have capacity. Has anyone here compared different breathing devices or training approaches over a longer period?