About the Endurance Sport Science category

(Replace this first paragraph with a brief description of your new category. This guidance will appear in the category selection area, so try to keep it below 200 characters.)

Use the following paragraphs for a longer description, or to establish category guidelines or rules:

• Why should people use this category? What is it for?

• How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?

• What should topics in this category generally contain?

• Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

Hi @patrickd123. Being in Canada myself, I understand your situation. To answer your question, no, the AI hasn't caught up there yet, although linking to a weather app is on our development list.

Basically what I would advise is to train by feel and heart rate and use common sense always. If its icy out and you don't have spikes, I'd avoid that sort of training. Modify your training depending on what you have available in your community. XC skiing for example, running on a treadmill, cycling on an indoor trainer, going for a swim, etc. If you do choose to run in the ice and snow than you have to expect the pace will go down.

We have a saying in HIIT Science, that is: context over content - always. And your case it the classic example.

Fellow Montrealer! Hi! My workout Tuesday was shoveling instead of a run. And my indoor trainer has never looked so appealing when the snow hasn't been cleared.

@prof Thanks! Note that we, athleticans, would not mind if, while it is being developed, you add optional fields for temperature and humidity, if you already know how you would feed it to the engine!

Thanks!

I have these bad boys for when the roads get icy. Luckily on the bike I’m working with power / heart rate and speed is what it is. Temps just risen back (UK) and bike back on the usual tyres today.

[attach]109[/attach]
1 Like

@phil Are those Schwalbe Marathon studded tyres?? When I did my winter commute those were my go to. Didn’t always save me, but much better then rubber alone!

@phil 100% Take the corners with caution. Embrace the season / weather is my motto. Makes for enjoyable experiences.

@jesse shovelling needs to be its own ‘workout type’ on Garmin, etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

@prof At the rate they are including new workout types on their devices, it’s only a matter of time!

1 Like