HR and Powerzone

I am new to althetica ai and on my second trial week. I completed a 2h aerobic endurance session yesterday. My power was solid L2 but my HR was in tempo at 155bpm as opposed to the prescribed 135bpm. I do tend to rev quite high and I know HR can be problematic due to other life stress etc. On the other side at 50 I need to be mindful of recovery time - I am aware of being that little bit more irritable atm but this could just be acclimatizing to the increased load. I finished the session in ERG mode (should I do these in that mode - as a completionist I find doing exactly as I’m asked quite rewarding but a previous coach said it’s better to not use this mode). My instinct is that this session was a bit too hard for it’s goals but also that it made me work and probably had a good training effect.

I’m going to see how the rest of the week goes in terms of HRV etc but I might want to turn down sessions a little bit to bring these closer together.

I’m interested in the communities thoughts about a) Power against HR and b) ERG mode for prescribed sessions.

Many thanks for your views. I’m working through the documentation given by athletica but if there’s stuff there folk think I should read then links work for me :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

Hey @Horsham7

Welcome to Athletica! Hope you are enjoying your trial.

First I would like to ask whether you’ve done all the tests to calibrate your current Power and Hr zones. Kind of crucial to get proper workout prescription - so you don’t tank yourself.

Second, was this a Strength Endurance session? In that case, I would use ERG mode. Otherwise I don’t use Erg mode but go by feel and “free mode” - it helps to keep myself honest to my effort.

We recommend doing all zone 2 work by heart rate - keeping it in zone 2 and letting power drop the longer you go. Have a look at aerobic decoupling in your analysis. Anything over zone 2 - go by power if you have done your critical power or ftp test.

Always listen to your body - Athletica is set up conservatively, but it still requires that you listen to your body and don’t push when you are not ready for it. Only you know when you’re ready for hard efforts. Sounds like you already know that :smiley: listen to that instinct you mention.

Smart training is consistent training. You’ve got this!
Best, MJ

2 Likes

@Marjaana, I appreciate your response to @Horsham7 as it provides me some guidance on how to best complete my plan-recommended workouts that I haven’t found in the site documentation so far. I’ve been exerting based on my in-interval RPE, while attempting to hit the suggested upper Power/Pace targets across all intervals.

This approach has put me above my previously estimated LT1 HR (~75% of HR max per Dr. Seiler) based on an estimated max HR of 168 bpm per my in-home completion of a modified version (sans any of the protocol’s respiratory VO2 or Lactate testing) of Rowing Australia’s 7-step Test protocol (https://44155094.fs1.hubspotusercontent-na1.net/hubfs/44155094/RA-Pathways-Protocol-7-Step-Rowing-Protocol-2016-2020-Update-5-September-2019.pdf).

My Athletica HR max is showing to be 179 bpm per my rowing profile, which appears to be a little aggressive for a 69 yr old Master erg rower. Following your guidance will make me feel more comfortable that actually working in my Zone 2.

1 Like

Thanks MJ, that’s useful feedback.

Have you considered a feature that uses HRV and/or a system where you can say how you feel that day which would slightly dial up or down the effort levels of that days workout?

Rob

Thank you @firestop! How long have you been using Athletica, and are you on a rowing plan? Did you do the tests for rowing? Once your tests are done, Athletica should be able to fine tune your thresholds.

For zone 2 you want to stay under LT1HR, use HR&RPE as HR can fluctuate based on many factors (stress, poor sleep, environment etc) so using HR with RPE is always useful tool to keep intensity in check for aerobic low intensity sessions.

For above LT2/CP/FTP you want to have some kind of idea of target power/pace while also using RPE (All out is all-out for the duration of interval). Don’t restrict yourself to hold power within a tightly set target, especially the upper range as when you get fitter, you’ll notice that you are able to push yourself past the upper target - that’s where fitness naturally progresses, and it’s fun to see new levels!

LMK if you have any other comments or questions and if you want to share your data that is always helpful.

MJ

1 Like

@Marjaana , thnx for your reply. I am in week 3 of a long distance rowing plan (preparing for a 42.125k erg row on 11/25) having inputed my Power/Pace HR workout data back to 1/1/2024. I successfully completed my Week 2 (1 min, 2k, 6k max effort) test workouts last week, but it’s interesting that my 6-week rowing chart indicates only one workout was used.

One point of confusion for me. My Zones appear to be based off the higher values from my 3 month chart, not my 6 week which are lower. My 3 month chart values are what I expected given my performance during that period, but I am returning from an injury and vacation time that had me off for 2 weeks in September and rowing in recovery mode for the rest of the month.

I’m looking to leverage the platform to be able to finish the race as fast as I can as part of my recovery…not trying to set any records :sunglasses:

2 Likes