Garmin ConnectIQ Workout Reserve data field

Yeah girl!! You are rocking and rolling now! Will be fun to see on vo2max efforts (next week?)!

2 Likes

Fantastic, have fun with it, and let us know what you think.

2 Likes

You bet - I’m holding you to it!

2 Likes

Thanks Phil - so far I think it’s really cool :sunglasses: Looking forward to taking it outside…

3 Likes

Good Day Team,

I hope everyone is enjoying “spring” wherever you may find yourself :hugs:

I have added the WR to my regular (Tempo/Steady state) run Garmin profile and have paid mild attention to it through these runs.
One of the main aspects that I find myself paying attention to is not necessarily the % throughout the session but my overall metrics after the session ie the relationship between WR/time/Pace/average HR these rolled subjectively together giving my own sense of progress.
I believe I can see when my cumulative fatigue is impacting my performances and then I will take a “hard rest” window and when I come back my biological upgrades have kicked in and I smash my WR%'s with strong changes in my other metrics allowing me to “level up”.

Having said all that I am really after input or ideas from the team on how I can use the WR data during my long runs (3-5 hours).

I have experimented with several different angles of using it (some are illogical, but were fun to poke around with).

• I have tried using it for hydration/nutrition intake cycles. This failed as my starting state of hydration/nutrition level changes and the environment (Hills, Temps etc) should more directly correlate to intake. Invariably this disrupts my inputs and disrupts my performance starting at about the 2 hour mark. I have ditched this idea entirely.

• I have used it for implementing running:walking ratios. This holds some promise, but topology is typically my main driver on when I walk/hike Vs run. More often this leads to me walking during times when I feel like I can run via RPE equivalent measuring. This turns into more of a softer extended interval session, especially on flats. I have not ditched this entirely, but am looking to apply it more selectively beyond the

• I have even tried to manage my “Trail Breaks :wink:” to try and increase my overall relentless motion forward and reduce the brain games of you need to tinkle kind of thing. This has not been successful as I have found it is best to just take the time to tinkle and get right back leg turn over than die on that mountain and risk an emergency situation.

The main thing that is reducing my ability to leverage is during a 3+ hour long run are the times when I need a “trail break :wink:” or want to stop for a picture and bask in the beauty of where I am or chat with other people… the dang thing immediately begin to refill itself thereby negating whatever I am trying experiment with for that time window within the session.

I am clear in WR intent and use for short higher intensity sessions and even longer normal sessions, but for those atypical extended sessions (3-5 hour runs) I am looking for ideas.

Appreciate the input as always!

3 Likes

Great thinking here, and very good question indeed.

What my gut is telling me (indeed I/we do not have enough data to back this up) is that with prolonged exercise the WR will naturally decrease progressively. Those slow “L” component will bring everything down, so it will make easier to reach the limits of exhaustion. Internally, we were exactly discussing about this. We know that, in fatiguing conditions, you are not necessarily exhausted at WR=0%. It might well be that you are exhausted at 20%, 10% , etc. because you’re “fatigued”.

However, your intuition is correct, at the very moment we are especially focused on 1-2 h exercises. Longer efforts are an open field right now!

What practical and applicable meaning does this have? For these long runs with relatively constant pace (let’s put elevation gain aside for a moment) I would expect the WR% to decline steadily, and I would try to make the decline as regular as possible. Even during brief stops, the WR% might rise again, but the elapsed time and the accumulated work is accounted for. Those slow “L” components are moving, well, slowly. It means that as soon as you start running again they will kick in again as soon as they have the chance.

The fact that these components are considered, is one of the major advantages of this approach.

Not sure I answered your interesting questions, and I’m eager to know more about your experience with the App, as soon as you have the chance :pray:

5 Likes

I’ve mapped what it looks like for myself at a constant power when targeting reaching 0% WR after 7 hours. Whilst there is a long period in the middle where the rate of change of WR is fairly constant, it does eventually slow. I’m not near my PC right now, and will be heading out for a 3 hour aerobic development shortly. But later I will see if I can share what it looks like. Essentially after about 3.5 hours the only part of the profile driving min WR is 2 hour, as 1 hour rate of decline has significantly slowed by then, and there’s clear separation.

I still mostly go with HR and RPE with power caps for these long aerobic outings.

1 Like

@Andrea Here you go. Here’s what a 7 hour event looks like when targeting reaching a min WR of 0% at the end, and riding at a steady power. The cross over point between the 1 hour and 2 hour profile is 2 hours 31 mins; after which minimum WR is driven by the 2 hour profile.

I do at least know what power I should be targeting, if I want to follow this trajectory.

5 Likes

Should I avoid hitting single digits for the overall mWR? While getting ready for race season I have seen single digits and negative numbers for the overall number. Wondering if I’m digging a hole I can’t climb out of.

That’s going to depend on how mature your Athletica profile is. Personally I’m finding good repeatability and progress when limiting the min to 10-15% most sessions. If you are setting personal bests or getting very close every session then something has got to give. I’d certainly be more circumspect as your events get closer. No good getting a PB in training if it makes you too tired to perform well in your event.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Phil. I’ll scale it back then. I am taking more days off this week.

I’m long past PB times at 46. Although I can seem to handle a decent amount of run mileage still.

1 Like

Hey team, question: is WR connected to the Athletica workout? Meaning, does athletes need to be following any specific Athletica workout for the WR to be working or is it always looking for any run/bike in the past 6-week time frame?

For example, if an athlete skips today’s workout and does a group run, WR is still on for that workout, right?

Thanks, MJ

1 Like

Hey @Marjaana thanks for the question!
Yes, WR does not know what kind of session you are in :slightly_smiling_face: You can use it in spite of what Athletica suggested for that day.

5 Likes

Just like your plan is adjusted based on what you’ve done, WR works off what you’ve done rather than planned to do. WR can be your companion anytime it’s a run or bike.

4 Likes

Good day all,

Really appreciate the responses and insight, alongside the discussion.
I have found that I go through cycles where my WR is always present and measuring its magic in the background for review as necessary and then are periods of time it feels like I am consistently hitting single digit % or more often establishing new max’s for the workout without any perceived change in effort; reminding me that trusting in the process is producing results in each session.

4 Likes

@Phil - How did you get to the power you need to maintain to get to 0% at the 7 hr mark? This is a really cool thing to know how to do, especially for racing.

2 Likes

I’m afraid that is secret maths sauce I’m not at liberty to divulge. I can say, watch this space regard to future evolutions of real time WR. Cool things are coming.

4 Likes

Jeje fair enough :slight_smile: Looking fwd to the things coming out

@Graim this is something related to your question in other thread. I think Phil is working in something really cool here but we have to wait and see

1 Like

Hi @Andrea,

Would it be possible to make it available for the Edge 1050? I upgraded, and I cannot set it up on it as it is not marked as compatible with it. I love it and I am missing it! Thanks a lot

Jerome

2 Likes