Garmin ConnectIQ Workout Reserve data field

It worked :metal:. Right after hearing the tone, I started an activity and I saw the WR was 99.9%.

Guess I need to learn how to use this feature now (and probably will be very useful for my outdoor rides).

Thanks a lot @MarkB and @Phil

Explanation on how to get the most out of it is coming soon. I’m not the sports scientist , thus I stick to what I know, and let the scientists explain best practise for Workout Reserve.

I’ve been using various test / debug iterations on my own Edge for a while now as all the working parts were evolved / tested / matured and fell in place. It’s become an essential field in front of me during my training.

1 Like

It’s on my list to see if I can get it to update the display when the first profile is downloaded in the background. But as a fellow techie you’ll know that changes are best not made in haste as it usually breaks things. Plus I’m focused on getting the running beta ready at the moment. I can’t believe how many different watches there are!

1 Like

Yeah, the watches are way more segmented than the cycling computers. Also imagining how painful it must be working with the Garmin API, I can only wish you luck :recycle:

Cannot wait to test the running beta as I do all my running workouts with the watch, but most of the cycling workouts with Zwift only.

Which watch do you have?

Epix Pro, which should behave similarly to the Epix Gen 2 and Fenix 7 & 7 Pro family.

1 Like

For anyone reading this thread

Since @anilakarsu got confused by the screen still showing NO PROFILE despite hearing the 5 note profile WR download tone for the first time. Giving blood yesterday seems to have woken me up early (morning here). I’ve just updated the data field (following a bit of testing) such that when the profile updates that first time it will update the data field display from NO PROFILE to 100%, without first needing to start an activity, to be certain (in your mind) that your profile is now on your device.

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded the Epix PRO firmware / profile for testing. Even that model seems to have 5 or 6 variations!

One for @Marjaana

This is the watch pre beta running tests on the Forerunner FR255 firmware (think this is the watch you have). Still work to do, but making progress.

1 Like

Interesting, really? I’m aware of the different sizes and colors but they should all have the same OS. What do you mean by firmware / profile?

The base OS will be mostly the same, it’s the implementation details that differ. When releasing new versions of the data field I need to build a version for each device. Some devices are Amoled and some memory in pixel. That impacts a few of the APIs. Plus some of your PRO versions are System 7, that is still beta in the Garmin IQ SDK developer tools.

There’s good alignment but also anomalies, it’s not 100% if a device lists support for the same API version / level, which is why each needs testing to find them.

1 Like

Wow just looked at the device profile, that’s one high pixel count watch. Display must be great.

I did a quick test and it looks like my existing code based on the Forerunner profiles hasn’t got a problem with Epix Pro. More thorough testing obviously needed as I work towards running beta.

1 Like

I’ve read your edits and wanted to correct one thing, or at least bring it to your attention. All Epix devices use AMOLED screens, while all Fenix devices use MIP screens. From a consumer’s perspective, this is essentially the only difference between them: EPIX equals Fenix, but with AMOLED.

However, I understand how Garmin treats each edition of these devices differently, particularly in terms of API Level and Garmin IQ SDK support. Even they struggle to release OS updates simultaneously for very similar devices.

Regarding statistics, I’m not sure if any are publicly available. As an avid tech enthusiast who follows tech reviewers covering Garmin devices and having spent quite a while deciding which Garmin watch to buy, I would guess the popularity of Garmin models among runners is as follows:

Forerunner > Fenix > everything else.

It’s probably worth prioritizing devices like the Epix, Enduro, and Instinct over the Venu, Vivosmart, or Lily, simply because they are more popular among athletes.

1 Like

LOL I was just reading the description AMOLED I think I’d lose my sanity if I tracked all the different watch variations and technology deployed within. My wife has more Garmin swim and run watches than I have shoes.

In terms of running beta I’m mostly focusing on getting it up and running in all Forerunner variants from FR245 upwards. Then as people mention models on here I’ll add them to my list as and when, if it looks like in principle they will work (don’t crash on bringing them up first time in the test rig is a good sign :slight_smile: ). I’m trying to avoid having multiple code bases for each variant. At the moment I have the core WR module, plus one module for Edge / cycling and one module for running. I’m hoping to keep it that way, so if I need to make changes across both running and cycling, it shouldn’t be too hard to keep aligned and stable.

2 Likes

@Phil FYI I’m using a Forerunner 965 which also has AMOLED (it’s a thing of great beauty after more than a decade with LCD/MIP). Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help.

1 Like

@Phil I’m on the Fenix 6 Pro. Does this watch have the chops necessary to run the WR field in the future?

@Phil Wow, awesome work. I’d be lost with all the watches too! I’ve got FR 955, would it be the same as FR255?

It works fine here on a Edge 1040. Although the initial login procedure was convoluted. I never got the promopt either, I only got it when I swapped the Athletica data field with another on on a page, while my iphone was running ConnectIQ nearby.

If technically possible, a Authourise / Deauthourise button in ConnectIQ settings would be much smoother.

Andre

Well yes, you need to add the data field to a screen as per the install instructions and video. None of its code will run till that point as per any Garmin IQ data field.

If it is one the more modern round screen watches then most likely. I’ll add it on to the list to check when I’m ready for running beta.