Rest periods in swim workouts downloaded to Garmin

I’ve started using the swim workouts that are downloaded to my Garmin. They work really well, except there frequently (always?) is no rest period between the sets. Would you be able to add a rest period, preferably a rest till lap button press. I did my CSS test today and there was no rest between the 100m in the PREP set and the 400m TT. I took a 10s rest but it means my 400m TT time has an extra 10s in it, and I probably wasn’t quite as rested at the start of the TT as I should have been.

3 Likes

I am excited to try this feature tomorrow. I was playing around with the set on my watch, and I also noticed no rest period after the last work swim of a set.

This is also true for the warm up.

For example, if the first work set 6x100s on 30 seconds rest wouldn’t have 30 seconds of rest built in after the sixth 100. Thus, when you end the sixth 100, it immediately starts the first swim of the next set.

It would also be great if it would clarify if it was a swim or kick set.

Another comment - is it just me or are other swim workouts in pace/miles instead of pace/yards?

1 Like

Hi there @Jeremy & @nmc ,
Obviously we’re learning here as we go as this feature and option is brand new to all of us, so really appreciate you testing for us.
We think that hitting lap won’t do anything. However what should work is pressing stop and then resume between the sets.
Please let me know how that works.
Best,
Paul

1 Like

Stopping at the end of the set works, but you have to be quick because it automatically starts the time for the next lap. It also isn’t obvious when there won’t be a rest interval, though now I know to look at the end of each set!

I don’t know if Garmin lets you do this, but what would be great is for there to be a rest interval added to the workout in between each set, and ideally the rest period to end on pressing the lap button which would be the start of the new set.

2 Likes

Hi all, same issue regarding the rest period not considered at the end of the set. @Prof Hope will be a possible fix , plus would be great to add the the notes of the set to garmin. For this two reason I still bring at the pool my paper notes…trees are crying :grin:

4 Likes

@Prof I have the same problem with swim sets, had it today in fact. Any update on this? The rests seem to be scatter sporadically in the workouts however I have never had a rest in between the warm ups.

Sorry @10uhc,
Can you be clear on what would be an optimal experience? As per elsewhere we have a ton of things going on so this has dropped back in terms of priorities. But before I move forward to request any changes I need to be crystal clear on the issue and I probably need to get in to the pool myself to experience it (which I’ll likely try to do this week). Is it really the continuous nature that’s the issue? Its moving from one part of the workout to the next without any pause options?

Hi Prof. I’m not the OP and have only done one swim but agree with the others. Typically with the (Garmin) swimming workouts I have done you would do a set and then have a rest period - often with “until lap press”. This helps not only recover and prepare for the next set - but also if the lane is busy to make sure you can start with a gap between swimmers. It’s a fairly trivial implementation (ie an additional block or line in the workout). Once you are ready to go - you press the lap button - and the next set starts. The rests are logged and don’t interfere with the active swim metrics.

This is the workout for yesterday…. As you can see below, as this one is written, as soon as you get done with the warmup, you go straight into the 750 with 0 time between. Then in the main set there was zero rest so basically it was a broken 900 with enough time to stop at the wall and press lap then start swimming again. There was a 1 min rest before the cool down.

Although this was an aerobic easy swim, it needs to have some time between to rest, have a drink, whatever at some point.

1 Like

okay thanks everyone. I think I get it and we’ll see if we can find a solution for the future.

Just chiming in specifically on this swim workout. You are supposed to do this unbroken- changing your speed from tempo -tempo but add another gear, then easy, repeat… BuT
As you say, between warm up and main set, there should probably be a short break.

1 Like

Hi Everyone

I’ve been swimming athletica workouts 4-5 x a week for the last 5 months and really am loving it.

I also think there should be a built in break between warm up and the first set and between sets. It allows time for a break, add equipment like paddles if needed and mentally get ready for the next set.

My work around though that works for me is I press lap on my garmin at the end of the warm up or last interval of a set and then right away push pause. This stops the clock on the garmin. When I’m ready to start the next set I just push resume and off I go.

Sometimes I know what the first set is and feel good about moving straight into it without a pause after the warm up.

I always quickly write out the workout on a scrap piece of paper and take it in a baggy to the pool or just plaster it onto a kick board at the end of the lane. This is for 2 reasons for me. I do better if I have that visual reminder that I can check of what’s coming up and the zones suggested. It also helps me to move between sets without a pause if I want. But also sometimes rarely my garmin freezes on me during a workout and kicks me out of it. I can just finish the workout and log it as a lap swim using the written workout.
workout as the guide.

3 Likes

Thanks @Marjaana. Maybe this was a bad example, I feel like I find it most often with p/p workouts and maybe a 10 second between switching (it takes me longer than 10 seconds to put strap around my ankles, put on paddles and PB to be prepared for the session) and definitely after the warmup of almost every workout. I am happy to report when I do find it to help solve the issue. It’s awesome to be able to have your voice heard and appreciate that our feedback is taken in consideration.

3 Likes

Totally :100: get what you mean. We will see what we can do about it. There should be a short break in between the main sets so we can prep for the next one. :point_up:

We are not perfect and we truly appreciate our awesome friendly community who are so kind to give us feedback on where we can improve. Thank you :pray:

6 Likes

I do the same. I will print my swim session out the night before. I then put that into a Ziploc bag and leave that on the pool deck for guidance. I haven’t had much success with following along with the download to my Garmin FR.